Saturday, December 13, 2008

Friedman Musings

I've enjoyed Thomas L Friedman's op-ed pieces at the NY Times. At first I was bedazzled. But over time I've come to realize that a lot of what he says is pontificated musings. He isn't an expert. He may talk to experts, but in the end, his writings are his own puffed up presentation of thoughts as facts. In fact, most of what he has said was either motherhood or misconceived. He is a journalist, so there is no accountability. He dances from one topical subject to another.

I guess I like what he says because his prejudices are close to mine. But the reality is that is presentation is just opinion. That's what I've learned over time. I've made a lot of mistakes over the years. Friedman does as well, but he never revisits the past, so you wouldn't know it. Instead, he charges over the next hill saying "follow me!". I've gotten tired of following...

No comments: