Wednesday, January 7, 2009

John Gribbin's "Deep Simplicity"

I had mixed feelings about this book. The topic is interesting to me, but at times I was bothered by the writing styles (overly complicated at times) and by a number of subthemes that were never knit together to my satisfaction. A lot of ground was covered, but I can't say that I came away with a sense of "deep simplicity" either about rules in science or in the presentation of this material! I would have preferred less ground covered and a more coherent presentation that convinced me of some "deep simplicity" somewhere. Instead I was left with a feeling of having rummaged through a second hand store with odd piles of curiosities that -- while interesting on their own -- didn't amount to much presented in the confines of the covers of this book. I pine for the days of Isaac Asimov, a masterful writer who could write clear expositions on technical topics that were not only readable but left you feeling you have learned something when you closed the cover at the end of the book. I've enjoyed other books by Gribbin but I feel he has become a mini-factory churning out books whose quality is sinking which the quantity produced keeps going up. Maybe that is the economics of the book trade these days, but it is sad.

No comments: