Friday, November 6, 2009

Thomas Ricks Upbraids Obama

Here's an interesting post by Thomas E. Ricks:
Wow. Here it is November 6 and we still have no idea where the Obama Administration is going on Afghanistan. All I want for Christmas is a decision!

No matter what the president decides, I'll come away worried by his handling of the process. What can you do in 10 weeks than you can't do in four? I don't think he and the people around him understand the costs of the Big Dither of 2009 -- in the trust of Afghans, in the support of Americans, in the confidence of other nations. Spencer Ackerman has just offered up a good, if CNAS-centric, analysis of the state of the debate.

I am still an Obama fan, though less than I was 90 days ago. I am still glad he is president, and I'll take him over Bush any day. Biden may be a wanker, but he isn't Cheney. I just hope Obama gives a great speech explaining his approach and brings along the American people with him.
I'm similar to Ricks. I too think Obama is a big relief from the insanity of the Bush years. I too am disillusioned by Obama. I too can't believe it can take from Jan 20 until November ? or December ? to decide on a strategy for Afghanistan. Unlike Ricks, I've given up on Obama. He came in with a lot of promise but he is delivering very little. Sad.

No comments: