Thursday, December 3, 2009

Get a Harvard Education

Here's an interesting teaser for a course in philosophy that looks at 'justice' that is taught by the Harvard professor Michael Sandel:



This web site gives you access to the videos of the course. When I was a kid there was a program called Queen for a Day. Click here to access this Harvard site and become a Harvard Student for a day and get the benefit of a Harvard education (or at least pretend that you are getting a Harvard education).

I guarantee that you will find this course endlessly fascinating because it will force you to think. You will learn something about your own morals. And, as professor Sandel points out, this course is very dangerous because it will force you to know yourself, it will change you, and that change cannot be undone, so you will be taking a risk by following this course.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the link.. The moral/ethics part of the video remind me of Les Miserables in which there is a lot of ethical discourse. I often think about how far I would go to protect or provide for my family and how many facets there are to all of the high minded ideas of what is right or wrong.

It has been a year! I want to thank you for all your help and all the postings that you have posted that have made me think and study and buy books... But, I really do appreciate your site and the advice and wisdom that you have given. I hope you don't mind me thinking of you as a friend..

RYviewpoint said...

Thomas, I'm glad I could be of help. I enjoy your comments and it is nice to hear that you find them valuable. But never take what I say as 'truth'. Use your own mind. You have a good one. And, in these ideologically dogmatic days it is always very important to listen to your heart. Here's a writer I've always enjoyed, Karen Armstrong, point out what a lot of intellectuals forget. I'm glad to accept your friendship and reciprocate as an on-line friend. But virtual relationships don't hold a candle to flesh-and-blood friendships.