Saturday, February 6, 2010

Gold Rush

I stumbled across Basia Bulat and liked her music. This song, Gold Rush, is very nice. I like the autoharp.



And it is nice to see that she's a Canadian girl trying to make her way in the big wide world. Looking at her MySpace account, it is pretty obvious that she is working very hard to build an audience. That touring schedule looks brutal to me.

Here's another nice tune with a lot of interesting percussion accompaniment:



And here's a catchy tune:



Here's a bit from an article about her on the NPR web site:
On her 2008 debut album, Oh, My Darling, Basia Bulat painted lush landscapes with her orchestral folk-pop. Her songs brimmed with artful guitar, string and piano arrangements, creating an almost symphonic sound. On the Canadian singer-songwriter's follow-up, Heart of My Own, the pace is a little quicker, the violins a little rougher, and Bulat's vocals a little fiercer. It creates an image that's more wilderness than pastoral, more country than folk; along the way, it feels stripped-down while maintaining a variety of instruments and arrangements.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like her music. I sent a link to this to my kids and wife. Thanks for posting this.. it was a nice morning treat instead of reading politics or other news.