Saturday, March 27, 2010

Timothy Ferris Talk

Here is a nice lecture by Timothy Ferris on his latest book The Science of Liberty. Here is a ten minute slice out of the talk:



You can go here to see the full 72 minute video (skip the first 6 minutes of "intro" to get to Ferris and his talk).

The diagram he shows here is a two dimensional representation of politics. One dimension is a view of social change (progressive vs. conservative, i.e. a view that our major obligation is to improve things through change versus the view that our major obligation is to preserve the values of the past) and the other dimension is a view of social relations (liberal vs totalitarian, i.e. a flattened network of equals versus a rigid hierarchy).

If you read any book this year, make this one your top pick. It is that good.

Here is my previous comment on this book.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

RY;

I just had to have the book, so I ordered it just now. Thank you for the reviews and video on this. I have to get busy and read more quickly.

I kind of got focussed on the coffee house history and wondered if the Coffee party knows that little bit of history on coffee.. Seriously, I found his talk very informative and I learned some things that I have been confused about concerning the liberal/conservative/progressive and how they relate to each other.