Monday, September 13, 2010

William Gibson Interview

I find this interview to be interesting starting at 17:00 minutes when writer William Gibson starts to compare Canada with the US. He is knowledgeable since he was born in the US and moved to Canada to dodge the Vietnam draft:

A Discussion with William Gibson from DANGEROUS MINDS on Vimeo.



At 18:00 they talk about the American healthcare debate.

At 14:30 they talk about Fox News and the dumbing down of America.

I find myself yawning through the "literary discussion" parts of the interview. The only bit I enjoyed was the honesty of Gibson in pointing out that he doesn't really know the "theme" of his books until some smart critic writes it up for him.

I confess I don't read much William Gibson. I don't enjoy his style. I prefer more storyline, more emotional depth, more humour, more character development, etc. Cyberpunk never appealed to me.

No comments: